Christmas, Tasty Treats
Black Pudding and Apple Filo Parcels with Cranberry Dipping Sauce
200g Truly Irish Black Pudding
2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
6 sheets of filo pastry
50g butter, melted
1/4 cup cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Olive oil for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Filling:
- Heat a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Crumble the Truly Irish Black Pudding into the pan.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until it starts to crisp up. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add a bit more oil if needed, and sauté the diced apples until they start to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine the cooked apples with the black pudding in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lay out one sheet of filo pastry and brush it lightly with melted butter. Place another sheet on top and repeat until you have a stack of three sheets.
- Cut the stack of filo pastry into squares or rectangles, depending on the size of parcels you want.
- Spoon a small amount of the black pudding and apple mixture into the center of each pastry square.
- Fold the pastry over the filling to create parcels. Brush the tops lightly with more melted butter.
- Place the parcels on the prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
For the Cranberry Dipping Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberry sauce, maple syrup or honey, and lemon juice.
- Heat over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. Adjust sweetness to taste if necessary.
Serve the Black Pudding and Apple Filo Parcels warm with the Cranberry Dipping Sauce on the side for a delightful Christmas party appetizer!