Christmas, Delicious Dinners
Truly Irish Sausage and Potato Casserole
6-8 Truly Irish pork sausages
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Preheat Oven:** Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Prepare Ingredients: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the sausages and set them aside. In the same skillet, add the sliced onions and minced garlic. Cook until the onions are softened.
3. Assemble Casserole: In a casserole dish, layer the sliced potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Place the cooked onions and garlic on top of the potatoes.
4. Add Sausages: Cut the browned sausages into bite-sized pieces and place them on top of the onion and potato layers.
5. Pour Broth: Pour the chicken or vegetable broth over the casserole. The broth should almost cover the entire mixture.
6. Cover and Bake: Cover the casserole dish with foil or a lid and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
7. Final Touch: Remove the foil or lid during the last 10-15 minutes of baking to allow the top to brown slightly.
8. Serve: Once done, garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot.
This dish pairs wonderfully with a side of steamed vegetables or a simple green salad. It’s a delightful way to enjoy the flavors of Irish sausages and potatoes in a comforting casserole!