Christmas, Light Bites
Truly Irish Winter Warmer Soup with Bacon
6 Truly Irish Traditional Rashers
tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped kale or spinach
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional, for added richness)
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Start by cooking the Truly Irish Traditional Rashers. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the rashers until they are crispy. Remove them from the skillet and let them drain on paper towels. Once cooled, crumble or chop them into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until it becomes translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pot. Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and add the bay leaf and dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender and blend until smooth. Be cautious when blending hot liquids.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot over low heat. Stir in the frozen peas and chopped kale or spinach. Allow the soup to simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the peas are heated through and the greens are wilted.
- If desired, stir in the heavy cream for added richness and creaminess. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with the crumbled Truly Irish Traditional Rashers and fresh parsley.
Enjoy your hearty and flavorful winter soup made with Truly Irish Traditional Rashers!